Thursday, January 7, 2010

In the Word - Day 7

Well we have completed a week of our chronological reading. Here are some of my findings.

Something Different:
Gen 24:2 One day Abraham said to his oldest servant, the man in charge of his household, “Take an oath by putting your hand under my thigh.
Then again in vs - 9 So the servant took an oath by putting his hand under the thigh of his master, Abraham. He swore to follow Abraham’s instructions.
I knew Abraham had him take an oath I just hadn't noticed it was by putting a hand under a thigh. I read that according to ancient custom, it describes a very serious oath.

Something New:
Gen 24:67 "And Isaac brought Rebekah into his mother Sarah’s tent, and she became his wife. He loved her deeply, and she was a special comfort to him after the death of his mother. I hadn't seen that is is how they became "married".

Something to do/Apply:
Gen 22:1 Some time later God tested Abraham's faith. "Abraham" God Called "yes" he replied "Here I am" then again in vs 22:11 At that moment the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!” - “Yes,” Abraham replied. “Here I am!”
Both times, first when nothing was going on, and again when he must have been distraught knowing he was only moments away from sacrificing his only heir, Abraham promptly responded "Yes Lord Here I am". Today and everyday may I promptly, and obediently respond "Yes Lord Here I am"

Blessings,
Lynn - OR

No comments: