Sunday, January 10, 2010

In His Word Days 9 & 10

Happy Weekend everyone!

Well there has been so much that has gone one within the last two days of reading, Isaac lies to Abimelech about his wife, like his father did to Pharaoh. Esau sells his birth right to Jacob for a bowl of stew. Rebekah helps Jacob deceive Isaac for Esau's inheritance. Jacob travels to find a wife from his Mothers family, works for 7 years, gets deceived into sleeping with Leah and has to work another 7 years for her Sister Rachel. Then the two sisters fight for Jacobs affections, even though Rachel is who Jacob truly loves, the Lord has enabled Leah to give him many sons before Rachel is allowed to have even one son. In their competition to have sons for Jacob, they too offer their maid servants to have babies for him. At the end of today's reading God does open Rachel's womb and she gives Jacob a son whom she names Joseph which means "may he add".

So what was Something New: Gen 27:27 So Jacob went over and kissed him. And when Isaac caught the smell of his clothes, he was finally convinced, and he blessed his son. He said, “Ah! The smell of my son is like the smell of the outdoors, which the Lord has blessed! I don't remember that Isaac smelled him.

Then today Gen 28:20-22 Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing, 21 and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God. 22 And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”

Something in a different way: Gen 26:32-36 32 That very day Isaac’s servants came and told him about a new well they had dug. “We’ve found water!” they exclaimed. 33 So Isaac named the well Shibah (which means “oath”). And to this day the town that grew up there is called Beersheba (which means “well of the oath”).
I noticed this time that Abraham also had named a well Beersheba after making an oath with Abimelech (Gen 21:30-31)

A nugget I can apply to my life: Gen 25:32 “Look, I’m dying of starvation!” said Esau. “What good is my birthright to me now?”

Again today Gen 30:1 When Rachel saw that she wasn’t having any children for Jacob, she became jealous of her sister. She pleaded with Jacob, “Give me children, or I’ll die!”
After making this statement Rachel not only angered Jacob, but ended up taking things in her own hands and giving her maid to Jacob to have a baby. I'm not sure why that made her (and later Leah) think it was giving them a child. I makes me wonder how the maids felt about it.
So what should I do with this? Don't be so eager to appease the flesh. Go to God and wait for his instruction and timing.

Well I am getting this up later than I wanted to but better late than not at all.
Blessings ever one

No comments: