Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"I AM" Lesson 7




Discussion Questions:

1. How would you answer the questions, "Who Am I?"

I am Peace, I am sweetness, I am Mercy and I am Kindness, and I am beautiful.
God knew my name while I was in my Mothers womb, and He did not name me Lynn, but He named me these things.


2. Have you ever been in a situation where you felt inadequate because of your lack of a 'tagline'?

Does 40 years of my life count? That is something I am really working on now is feeling adequate to do what ever God wants. Not that I feel He has asked yet but I have this urgent desire to be prepared, because I want to make sure I do know enough for what may come up.

3. Do you have skills or position that you believe God could use mightily if only He would?

Well this was a bit hard for me to answer. I originally thought about my talents and natural gifts (cooking, hospitality, and crafts) and thought well I'm sure they could come in handy but how would God use those. Then I thought of how my Mom used to cook for the homeless, and then on the hospitality I thought of how my Husband and I have dinners for people in our church. I wasn't sure how to answer, so I asked my Husband what he thought, boy he spoke right up and said yes God could use you, as a teacher. He said you're so detailed and you know a lot, he said preachers deliver the word but teachers break it down. Wow was that encouraging and enlightening. It's nice to see what others see in you that you don't always see in yourself. I got a happy face going on here. :)

4. Have you ever lost a position or station in life you believe could have 'helped God out' with something He has asked you to do? If you haven't lost out, do you perhaps feel you have to gain this in order to be useful to the Kingdom?

Haven't lost a position (I don't think) and I don't think you have to have any certain position or station to be of use. God can use you right where you are at, if you let him.


5. How are you with your dialogue vs. doubt conversations with God? Which does God hear most from you?

Getting better all the time. I don't know if I actually verbalize it to God but those thoughts of not feeling equipped to do the job really want to come in. I can think of two times a few years ago that I did verbalize my doubt but my fear of being out of Gods will out weighed my fears of inadequacies so then I obeyed.

(A Friend of our daughters was going to Iraq and he was at my place of business, he was walking out to his pickup to leave and God told me to make sure he was born again, I had never lead someone to the Lord all by myself, and told God so. oops! He asked how I would feel if our friend didn't come home and I had to wonder the rest of my life where he ended up. ouch! I still tried to plea bargain, Okay Lord if he is still there when I get outside I'll talk to him. He was thank God! I talked to him made sure he was saved, End of story He's home and happy!) And so was I after I obeyed.


6. Do you believe God's Wonders become more wonderful if they originate in the ordinary? Any Scripture references come to mind?

Well I think when they come from the extra ordinary there is no doubt that it had to be the hand of God, not just some coincidence or freak thing.

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 1:27-29

27 Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. 28 God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 29 As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God. (NLT)

4 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I just love how your hubby encouraged you and pointed out something you didn't necessarily see in yourself. I've had people do that for me and it has given me the courage to step into ministries I never would have tried otherwise.

Good stuff! :)

Michelle V said...

Lynn,

I love that you can see yourself the way God sees you! That is so awesome! And it's really great the way your husband encouraged you about your gifts!

Blessings!
Michelle

Sallye said...

Lynn,

Wow. Words excape me at the moment. You have such a servant's heart and it shines through in your words.

I love how you see yourself as God sees you. That is security in God.

I keep forgetting to tell I love the quilt. Did you do it on a frame?

Sallye

SKY4KAT said...

It is so encouraging to see God working in your life, especially since you had difficult marriage in the past. God has truly blessed you with a loving and encouraging man of God to help you on your journey to becoming the woman that God created you to be. Makes me all smiley faced and happy inside too.
Love Katrina