Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spiritual Prepping 101

Well last week I talked about the Perfect Storm and Doomsday Preppers. Today I want to talk about Spiritual Prepping, which I think is way more important. Have you heard the saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? Well I feel there is a lot of truth in that saying.  So knowing your weaknesses and your triggers and being honest with yourself about them, to me is that ounce of prevention.  1 Peter 5:8 says  "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour".  See the Devil knows your weaknesses and what buttons to push, he knows how to temp each of us - So Being honest with ourselves is Huge.
Someone developed the acronym H-A-L-T, as warning signs of when you are weakest.  (sorry don't know who to give credit to).
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

So breaking that down a little. 

Hungry - Well my husband can tell you that there is a certain point of hunger that once crossed I start loosing my Rosy disposition.  I have learned over the years to deal with that much better - but the point is when we are hungry it can take the focus off of where we want to be emotionally.  See when we are out of fuel, we are tempted to eat food we shouldn't.  It is also that way with spiritual hunger.  John 6:35 Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty

Angry - I heard a story once, the lady talked about how sometimes we get mad, at our spouse, and boy they really have ticked us off. And we know that we should get over it and we should forgive, but we're entitled to be mad - we deserve our mad. And at the end of the day what have we really gotten - maybe a little less respect from the one we love.... See her husband joking or not had told some one that they had been married 38 years, and it was the best 4 years of his life. That really made her stop and take a look at how their life really was.  It's a story I may have told before, but one that I always remember. So I may tell again.  Ephesians 4:26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 for anger gives a foothold to the devil
Anger can make us do and say things we regret - knowing that ahead of time and being  honest with ourselves about that can help us to not go there. 

Lonely - Wow I could write a book about this one - there is emotional loneliness, physical loneliness,.. People that are alone either physically or in their mind are prone to people pleasing and manipulation.  And the devil is oh so happy to put manipulating people in your life that will push those buttons. Insecurities, seeking others approval, can lead you to all sorts of wrong places in your life. If this is your weakness, knowing that ahead of time can help you to stand against it.  Galatians 1:10 Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.    Romans 12:2   Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect

Tired - When we are tired our defenses are down. We can be goofy,  grumpy or just plain not alert at all. When we are tired that's when we are tempted to just give up, give in.  But God says "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest" (paraphrased)  Matthew 11:28-30.
 John 14:27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
Galatians 6:9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. 

See the devil loves it if he can get us to give up.  But God has made a way out for us; 1 Corinthians 10:13  The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.  Give that a little test, if you pay attention next time you are tempted - there is this little path out, a hurdle, a delay, a road block. 

Two of my favorite Scriptures: 
John 10:10  The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

So Spiritual Prepping - Where do you start?   Assessing your situation. Are you lacking financially, are you struggling with your weight or do you need healing?  Identify your triggers and weak spots, if you struggle with your weight, having a bible study at a donut shop may not be your best choice.  I know that was a given but you get my point.  Next start looking up scriptures that are specific to what you want to change.  God has covered it all - I mean it ALL.  There is nothing Jesus didn't cover on the cross.

Next post I'll dig a little deeper in building ourselves up in specific areas.  Learning to build up our spiritual bank account. In the mean time start looking those scriptures up!  :)  Have a Blessed Day!
Lynn

No comments: