Friday, July 19, 2013

Don't be a Martha!

As I work on my continual growth, because I do want to always continue to grow in God's word and His ways, I am working at being more aware of His whispers in my spirit.  Lately there have been 3 things that I am focusing on changing or improving in my life.  One of which is "Don't be a Martha" 

Luke 10:38-42

Mary and Martha

38-40 As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. “Master, don’t you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand.”
41-42 The Master said, “Martha, dear Martha, you’re fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it’s the main course, and won’t be taken from her.”  (MSG)

See part of my character is to be a "Plan-a-lot-a-mus" (that's what one of my daughters calls me), and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but anything in excess can turn bad. See if not kept in check I can plan 27 hours of activities into a 24 hr day, creating a little self induced pressure. Even things meant for fun and pleasure can become a source of stress and pressure if not kept at a realistic level. This became evident on one of our vacations years ago.  I had an agenda, and itinerary, we had places to go, things to do, people to see.   Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.... wasn't this supposed to be vacation, wasn't this supposed to be fun? 

One of our Granddaughters has a cute little saying - but it is so true... "Stop, take a deep breath, innnnn - ouuuuut... now don't you feel better?"  It is so true, just like Jesus spoke to Martha in the scripture above "you are fussing too much"  What fun is life, if all we do is rush on to the next step? When I was growing up we would go to a relatives house for dinner and before we could fully finish our plate she would be clearing dishes and asking if we wanted desert. And if we didn't want it right then, then we didn't get any. It was served, and cleared and dishes were done and we were excused to the living room. It was kind of funny then, but it's not so funny if I start doing the same thing, so I need to keep that in check.  God was showing that I didn't want to be  so concerned about getting things done, that I couldn't see what was around me.  "Don't be a Martha"  keep resonating in my spirit.
We tell our children all the time about their children, "Don't be so eager for the next phase, walking, talking, going to school, enjoy them at this stage for soon they will be all grown up.

Last night - I did something a little silly and my husband commented at the fact that I had changed and that I used to be so serious that I would never let myself do silly things. It was a bitter sweet moment.  Sorry that I spent so many years too serious, but happy that I'm sensitive to God's whispers in my spirit and flexible enough to let Him mold me into a better person. Happy that I can have a silly moment, a playful moment, for no reason and with no agenda.

God made me with wonderful attributes and my planning and organizing and even hosting can be useful tools in God's kingdom and in my life. But everything has a time and a place. Some quiet time of reflecting and playing and kneeling at Jesus' feet certainly has a place too.

Enjoy ....  No hear me  - Enjoy your day!
Lynn

No comments: