Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Gift of the Golden Bow


When I started this blog "Growing in His Love" I wanted to share what things in my life reflected Gods love and how with God's love I am growing. That's why I feel the story of the Golden Bow belongs here.

"She" was casually showing me some of her jewelry when I noticed the golden bow pin. It had clear and black rhinestones and glistened in the light. I commented on how very pretty it was. She reached in and grabbed the pin and gave it to me. "Wow are you sure"? Yes she said, I don't wear it and if someone else can enjoy it then they might as well have it.

I wear that pin every year on my wool winter coat. It makes me think of her every time I see it. Every year I get tons of compliments on it - "What a lovely pin" and "Oh that pin is beautiful". So each time I tell the story of her unselfish giving, by letting go of something she didn't use to someone that would appreciate it more. I also share that since then I've tried to follow that same example of giving to others. Let go of things I'm not using to someone that could use or enjoy it more. So her unselfish act not only touched my life, but can touch everyone I can tell the story to.

But there is part of the story that not everyone knows. "She" is my husbands 1st Mother-in-law. After 25 years of marriage my husbands first wife went to be with Jesus. It was through helping my husband through his grief that we got to know each other and eventually got married. "She" was his first wife's Mother, but gave to me unselfishly.

But there is still more, "She" knew me when I still had one foot in the world and one foot trying to follow Jesus. Before her Daughter went to be with the Lord, she knew me, the old me. And even knowing that, even knowing I am now married to her Son-in-law - "She" gave unconditionally, as God would, in love.

The gift of The Golden Bow - that sparkles every year.

"She" helped me to "Grow in God's Love"

Be Blessed,
Lynn

2 comments:

From the Heart said...

That is a precious story. You have certainly been blessed.

Plant Lady said...

Hello to a good friend who I haven't talked to in a while. I'm still around although not blogging much anymore. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Plant Lady