Saturday, December 29, 2012

Is your blinker on?

Have you been driving along and had one of your passengers ask “Is your blinker on”? Or maybe you have been riding with someone and had to let them know “Oh your blinker is still on”. And for anyone that may not understand this use of the word “blinker”,or “Flasher” - it is slang for “Turn Signal”. But a turn signal can also mean a traffic light, and a flasher as in “are your flashers on?” can mean your hazard signals, or flasher could mean…well you get the drift. Blinker just works.
In a vehicle, a blinker, signals all around that can see you that you are going to take some sort of action, usually that you are going to turn this way or that way. But likewise don’t our actions or re-actions send out signals. And what do those signals do and create in our lives and the lives of others?
As a parent, we long to hear our child say those precious words “Mommy” and “Daddy”, but then so often when we hear Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, we respond with “Just a minute, hang on, not now, I said be quiet,…”
As a parent, we want our children to want us and need us and love on us, but then too often we respond with “I’m busy, maybe later, have you done… yet?”
As a parent, we can see someone else's child and have all the patience in the world with them and get warm fuzzy’s about how sweet they are, but not stop and see the wonders of our own child.
I know that it is very important that we train up our children right. I also know as a Grandparent it is so awesome to be able to love on the children with out the responsibility of training them up. But we can not allow the cares of training them affect the signals we send them of love and approval and acceptance.
We are created in the image of God. Our Blinkers need to be the image of what God would do. When we pray and whine and grumble and plead and cry to our Abba Father, he never says not now I’m busy. He never looks down on us with an irritated or disapproving look. This is not to say that God does not correct us or that He doesn’t think we should correct our children.
Proverbs 13:24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.
Proverbs 29:15 The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother.
Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.
I know this is mostly about parents – but each of us have a responsibility to react in a way that influences the world around us in a positive way. My husband and I make a point of looking directly at people and smiling at them when we are in a public place. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen someone scowling in a defensive posture, looking like they are ready to lash out at the world, then see me smiling and break out into a smile themselves. I see teenagers size up other teenagers with a “As if attitude” while others hang their heads down trying not to be noticed. What would a smile from one teenager to another do?
As people on the earth, our signal is a reflection of our creator. I also know that seemingly innocent signals can draw someone closer to God or drive them away.
We all have blinkers, and we all use them more than we even know we do. What does your blinker tell the world about you?
As I head into the New Year I want my blinker to shine in a more positive way. I want to signal to the world that there is love and acceptance, not with out a price, but that the price has been paid. Paid by my savior Jesus. I want my signal to show I am turning - towards God.
Happy New Year to everyone – God Bless
Lynn

No comments: