Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Good Fellowship

I just got home a little while ago from my Bible Study. We took the month of August off due to vacations and scheduling. My friend, the leader of the study and I went to dinner before the study to catch up on life. With her schedule and mine we keep missing each other, it was nice to visit and see what was going on with each other.

We headed over to our meeting place after dinner not sure who would show up since some had canceled and some hadn't confirmed or denied. But one of our members that recently lost her husband was there. She is almost completely deaf and reads lips, and started talking about her life. She shared about her Mom's battle with cancer and the days right before her passing - how she started a chain of people getting saved. Then she told of how her stubborn Dad received Jesus two days before going home. She shared the struggles and triumphs in her life and how God was always with her.

Our friend talked a lot tonight, and we got to know her in a deeper more personal way. We didn't get to our study tonight, but that's okay, we were still learning of God's goodness. As she shared with us and opened her life to us, we opened ours to her, and we shared God's love between us.

Before we said our prayers and left for the night she shared one last story, of a time when money was tight and times were hard. She asked God for a word that would give her strength to go on. The word she got was Psalm 3. She read it a loud to us and I heard it with new ears. Please read it even if you have before -

Psalm 3

1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.
2 Many are they who say of me,
There is no help for him in God.” Selah

3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.

7 Arise, O LORD;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongs to the LORD.
Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah

In Verse 6 she wrote "creditors" above the word "people". She said she finally slept very well that night.
Maybe in this media frenzy of doom, gloom, and panic - we need a little more Psalm 3 "Gods Word" in our lives.

We had a good night of fellowship, bonding with each other and with God.
Chapter 14 can wait, another couple of weeks. :)

Blessings everyone,
Lynn

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Lynn, I love moments when you plan a teaching, but it becomes much more, "sharing" sharing from the heart! Great Post

Sounds like everything is going great your way, full of blessings!
Have a Beautiful and Blessed Weekend :)

Paula V said...

That sounds like our study groups on occasion. There have been nights we get through one page and then someone shares a point which leads to one or more sharing deeply, sobbing...a good release from the soul.

I'm now leading our small study group. I've been a member for 1 1/2 years and start co-leading a few months back. The other co-leader stepped down so it's just me going solo. Kind of scary but excited. Not up for it but willing because I believe HE is asking and placing me here for a time in this capacity.
Love,
Paula

Paula V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
From the Heart said...

Sounds like a great Bible Study.
It's when you start sharing things about your life that's when you know your group has bonded and feel good about releasing their problems and cares of life. We had a group like that many years ago.
Blessings,
AliceE.

Dana said...

Thanks Lynn,

I really needed to read this today. It sounds like you have a wonderful circle of friends to fellowship with. Please pray for me that I can have that too. I am so desperately in need of friends who would want to seek God with me.

Love in Christ,
Dana

Diane said...

Good reminder. I have had some battles lately and being able to lay down with that peace is wonderful. :O)